Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Digital Storytelling Example



I teach 5th grade, so this digital storytelling project is centered around our current social studies unit. I plan to show this example after explaining what digital storytelling is. This example is so important because I feel it sets expectations so that students have an idea of what they will be producing. I think viewing an example will also inspire students to begin thinking of how they will create their storytelling projects, and what elements they will add to their digital stories to make them their own. 
I would encourage my students to include photos and recordings of their voices when narrative their Prezies. Do you feel that creating a lavish example may hinder students' creativity? I am sometimes afraid that particular students will try to copy what I have created as a sample because they want to create something, "Right" (my students always ask, "Am I doing this right?"). I want to be sure that my students feel free to create something different from my example. The whole point is to see what they have taken from a unit, and what they feel is the most important information to be shared. I want to see different points of views, not my own recopied from my example. 
-Lisa Costello

4 comments:

  1. Lisa said, "I think viewing an example will also inspire students to begin thinking of how they will create their storytelling projects, and what elements they will add to their digital stories to make them their own."

    I totally agree! Students benefit a lot from modeling because they need to see live concrete examples so that they can grasp concepts; so your Prezi is doing exactly that. In addition, by showing them your teacher-created example, you are demonstrating to them the process of creating a digital storytelling and giving them an idea about what you are expecting them to produce as their end product digital stories.

    As for your Prezi, I would like to say that I loved your presentation and learned quite a bit from it about the events that led to the American Revolutionary War. You did a splendid job gathering information and putting it together within your presentation, and your slides flow in a logical and sequential fashion.

    Moreover, I really liked your embedded Youtube clips as I feel they added value and conveyed meaning to the information in your slides. However, I was wondering if you could possibly add a few pictures to your other slides because it will make them visually appealing to your students and keep them interested in the content.

    Lisa said,"I am sometimes afraid that particular students will try to copy what I have created as a sample because they want to create something, "Right""

    I understand your concern and think that you do have a valid point. However, I beleive that we can reduce this kind of behavior in the classroom if we promote a non-competitive environment where the emphasis is on learning and not performance/grades.

    Overall, I like your digital storytelling project ideas, especially that you are integrating it into your Social Studies unit because there are so many stories to tell about historical events and figures. I am sure your students will love your Prezi :)

    Good Luck Lisa.

    Hasnaa A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hasnaa for such an insightful comment. I definitely want to include pictures into my presentation. I need to find some on flicker under creative commons before I show this to students. Great suggestions!
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa-

    Your digital storytelling example is tremendous! I feel like I got quite an education about the events leading up to the revolutionary war from your Prezi!

    I believe your presentation is a concrete example of the expectations you are setting forth for your students. While I see your concern about some students possibly copying from your example, I believe they will only be trying to meet your standard of presentation. If you provide them with a clear expectation of what you would like to see in their presentations I believe this will be avoided.

    One suggestion I would make is to possibly find some photographs or examples, possibly primary resources, of the acts mentioned in your presentation in order to provide your students with some visual representations. This may help them to better connect with the material.

    Overall, I loved your digital storytelling example, especially the YouTube videos embedded with the slides. I think your students will present you with some wonderful projects if they follow your example.

    Great job!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,
    Thank you for the primary sources idea! I'll look for some.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete